Are you wondering how to be a successful transcriptionist? Maybe you have just started a new job as a transcriptionist and don’t have much experience. Whatever the reason, there are several tips you can follow to help you with your success.
Tips for Being a Successful Transcriptionist
Here are several tools needed to be a transcriptionist:
- Prepare Yourself – Preparing means learning as much as possible before diving in. Being able to type isn’t all it takes to be a successful transcriptionist. You also need to be excellent in spelling, grammar, and punctuation. Additionally, if you are looking to take your career a little bit higher and venture off into the medical or legal fields, you will need to familiarize yourself with terms and language in those fields.
- Avoid assuming – If you are unsure of something, ask as many questions as you need. Assuming things can cause negative outcomes for clients. Clients depend on your work. If you are unsure, you will not be punished for asking, but you can face extreme consequences for not asking and having your work flagged.
- Examine your work – Before you submit your work, be sure to look over it as many times as you need before submitting. Since authors rely heavily on you, the work you send to them should be almost perfect.
- Investigate – Always rely on online resources. For instance, if you are unsure of the exact spelling of a word, use a search engine to help you out. Any resource you think will be of great assistance should be saved for easy access.
- Analyze responses given – Transcription companies will give frequent feedback to their workers. This can help you not to make the same mistakes in your future work. Always make sure that you analyze all feedback given and if you are unsure or something, all you can do is inquire about it.
- Be flexible – Being a transcriptionist means you have to be flexible with change. Keep yourself informed on things that are going on within the company and industry.
- Speak up – Communication is key. Be sure you speak up if something you are facing is difficult. Additionally, if you have propositions, let them be known.
- Have a workspace assigned – If you want to go far in your career, you must be able to have an assigned space in your home to work without any distractions.
- Purchase necessary equipment – Besides having an assigned workspace, you must also have the necessary equipment in order to perform your job, such as headphones, a good computer, a desk, etc.
- Protect yourself online – Be sure that you are protected against things online that can pose a hazard to you. This means investing in a VPN if necessary and being sure your computer is protected with antivirus software.
- Remain calm – It is impossible for anyone to succeed in their jobs if they are always anxious. Take time out to enjoy things that make you happy in life outside of work. This will allow you to be dynamic when you get back to work.